Friday, September 7, 2007

The quest for perfection



Yesterday I finished -- I think -- doing any more cutting of plexiglass or drilling of canopies. I finished the final cut on the aft window (I left a little more on than the plans suggest) to parallel the cutout in the top skin.

I sanded the edges, countersunk the holes which I drilled a few days ago.



It's been amazing, really, how many times the plexi has gone on and off the fuselage, but I've enjoyed it. However, if I read one more Web site that says the "gap between the forward and rear canopies was perfect," I'll scream.



Perfection, though I strive for it, does not come easy to me. In fact, it doesn't come at all. My gap on the passenger side is about 1/8" since I accidentally sanded the wrong edge when getting the aft window to fit over the brackets that hold the rollbar in place. From there it alternates between about 1/16" and slightly larger.

But you know what? I'm happy with how it looks and I'm happy with how it came out and I've grown comfortable in my later years with some of my imperfections.

1 comment:

  1. Bob, I had my gap very nicely done when I did my RV canopy work. When I riveted the forward panel and hooked up the struts everything changed. The canopy moved rearword and removed my gap. So you will probably get another chance later on.

    By the way, I sanded the rear of the canopy using 80 grit on a D.A. sander at right angles to the edge. Then increased the grit to smooth and polish.

    Waiting for FSDO to inspect now.
    Kev

    ReplyDelete

Share |